Accounting Clerk Description
The Accounting Clerk performs various clerical and routine accounting tasks in support of an operating unit, to include posting entries, verifying, and reconciling input to financial reporting system output, processing payments, and/or assisting in preparation of billings and other financial reports. Responds to inquiries and contacts other departments and/or vendors to resolve a variety of problems. Assists in performance of various clerical duties.
- Keys data and prepares batches for processing
- Sorts documents; codes, logs, reviews for accuracy; matches supporting invoices to procurement documents and verifies invoices for payment.
- Prepares routine entries and posts financial transactions; reconciles entries and internal ledges to financial reporting system reports.
- Researches processing problems, contacts departments and vendors to resolve problems and expedite payment and responds to inquiries by telephone or in writing; refers complex problems for solution.
- Performs general bookkeeping work, which may include entering data and maintaining records, invoices, and supporting documents of amounts due for items purchased or services rendered.
- Handles cash and cash related transactions, issues receipts, records and types money lists, and balances cash fund; enters cash transactions in ledgers and reconciles cash reports; prepares bank deposits.
- Assists in preparing financial statements such as billings, budgets and cost reports.
Contacts customers to obtain, verify, and update account information when necessary.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Basic understanding of clerical and administrative procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Ability to solve problems as they arise.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate’s degree or vocational school training preferred
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Vision must allow for working on a computer screen for extended lengths of time.
- Must be able to work in an open-air team environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.