Fiber Optic Design Engineer Description
The Fiber Optic Design Engineer Specialist is responsible for conducting fiber optic detailed network design for middle mile and last mile fiber-based networks or Fiber to the Home projects. It requires an in-depth understanding of current fiber optic design standards and industry processes. It also requires a working knowledge of a GIS based design support software program and close coordination with site fielding staff and graphics personnel to support the final product. Typical OSP design responsibilities range from the initial determination of the pathway routing and construction alternatives based on site walkouts to final detailed design generation. The design engineer is fully responsible and accountable for the final design content and document generation to support the placement of the physical fiber infrastructure supporting Outside and Inside Plant communication facilities.
- Must work in tandem with the Engineering Assistants and Draftsmen
- Evaluate, document and adhere to Client design requirements
- Support design team in generating detailed network drawings in GIS software while supporting ongoing design needs.
- Coordinate with the fielding team on specific site visit schedules and data gathering requirements.
- Create high level preliminary route design and facility specifics to manage fielding request instructions
- Perform detailed OSP designs specifically adhering to design standards provided
- Calculate and generate all necessary splicing prints/port assignments and power loss budgets.
- Support the team by participating in the mentoring of other new design team members
- Perform design within allocated budgets and time frames
- Provide design lead with updates on progress and roadblocks
- Participate in developing process improvement concepts
- Provide detailed design in GIS based systems
- Review designs for quality and cost improvements
- Support design via any jurisdiction permits drawings required
- Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular updates
- Help maintain project records and files
- Support QC and as built efforts with design changes/updates
- Learning on the Fly
- Problem Solving
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Written and oral communications
- Drive for Results
- Decision Quality
- Listening skills
- Basic Knowledge of industry and technology trends
- Basic knowledge of construction &constructability practices & principles
- Basic knowledge of procurement & contract administration
- Basic knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
- Basic knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities preferred
- Minimum of 3+ years related work experience in OSP and/or ISP fiber detailed design. Highly preferred 5+ years’ experience.
- Knowledge and experience in ARC GIS or ARC mapping preferred
- Experience in interpreting client request and apply design standards to work product
- Familiar with construction focused on fiber builds
- Knowledge/experience with Web Applications and the GIS design domain.
- Strong Interpersonal, analytical and communication skills
- Flexible and able to think quickly working to resolve design issues and makes decisions.
- Experience working on multiple projects simultaneously
- Functions as a technical specialist with minimal supervision
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Vision to allow prolonged periods of computer work
- Vision to allow differences in colors, shades and brightness
- Light to moderate lifting is required
- Must be able to bend, stretch, kneel, and squat to use different types of office equipment
- Regular, predictable attendance is required
- Must be able to tolerate moderate noise (business office with computers, phones, printers, and light traffic)
- Ability to work in open workspace with others
- Class E license preferred
- Must be able to traverse all necessary terrain at a job site