The GIS Specialist utilizes best practices for GIS data management, data processing and analysis identify and solve business problems for our customers. The GIS Specialist assists project managers in the implementation of industry-leading GIS solutions as well as ensures that all projects are delivered successfully.
- Evaluate, document and adhere to Client design requirements
- Leverage out of the box and custom software solutions to perform GIS data management and analytical tasks.
- Generate innovative solutions by approaching problems with curiosity and open mindedness, using existing information to its fullest potential.
- Support engineering team in generating detailed network drawings in GIS software while supporting ongoing design needs.
- Create high level preliminary route design and facility specifics to manage fielding request instructions
- Support and manage GIS applications based on growing business demands
- Plan and coordinate GIS activities to meet outlined goals
- Develop quality control standards for system application
- Perform data capture and analysis for GIS products
- Oversee data flow, management and distribution activities to support GIS
- Support in designing and creating geospatial database
- Manage geospatial documentation for reference purposes
- Work in compliance with GIS standards and quality policies
- Provide technical guidance to GIS users when needed
- Stay abreast with latest developments in GIS field
- Support in developing work plan for complex projects
- Provide design lead with updates on progress and roadblocks
- Participate in developing process improvement concepts
- Review designs for quality and cost improvements
- Learning on the Fly
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Excellent Written and verbal skills
- Drive for Results
- Decision Quality
- Listening skills
- Must be able to multi-task, manage time constraints and make deadlines. Must be able to work in a cross-functional team environment as well as independently.
- Genuine enthusiasm toward learning, pushing technical limits and finding new solutions
- Ability to think analytically and solve problems
- Ability to excel in a detail-oriented environment with a high level of accuracy
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Computer Science, or a related field from a four-year college or university preferred
- Professional GIS experience in the utility sector is also preferred
- Experience with ESRI software
- Knowledge of computer applications and functions including, but not limited to:
Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, ESRI, CAD, and other related software
- Spatial analysis and geoprocessing tolls expertise (geocoding, linear referencing, routing, networks, CAD-GIS interaction, metadata, symbology, web-based mapping applications, WMS/web services.)
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Vision to allow prolonged periods of computer work
- Vision to allow differences in colors, shades and brightness
- Light to moderate lifting is required
- Must be able to bend, stretch, kneel, and squat to use different types of office equipment
- Regular, predictable attendance is required
- Must be able to tolerate moderate noise (business office with computers, phones, printers, and light traffic)
- Ability to work in open workspace with others
- Class E license preferred
- Must be able to traverse all necessary terrain at a job site